Month prior to hike
- Select a date and location (location can be flexible if weather is a factor).
- Resources: Hike Mentors, AllTrails, links to area park info, past hikes you’ve enjoyed
- Scout with a mentor or co-leader, record: duration, distance, elevation, trail conditions, driving directions, bathroom and cell service availability. Record on AllTrails if possible.
- Send description to the Quarterly Captain including AllTrails link if recorded. Include the following:
- date and location
- hike Leader and co-leader if any
- duration (when you expect to return to Rossmoor)
- elevation gain
- trail and weather conditions expected
- bathroom availability
- what to bring (e.g. boots, poles, water, snacks/lunch, attire)
- driver Reimbursement
- a brief description of hike highlights (views, wildflowers, etc)
- Limit on # of Signups if any
Week prior to hike
- Re-scout to double check trail and weather conditions and driving directions
- Arrange to pick up radio(s) from Harriet Schwartz (201-563-6019).
- Organizing cookies or treats for group is appreciated, but not mandatory.
- Day prior to hike review Signup list on Club Calendar to check number of expected hikers and drivers.
- Print out driving directions.
Day of hike8:30
- Arrive at Gateway
- Put out Sign Up Sheets and fill in Leader info and Hike location (Lock combo is #2232).
- Sign out First Aid Kit. It can be carried by Leader or any hike member.
Circle up hiking group. REMEMBER:
Leader has discretion to refuse any hiker or guest unprepared or appearing unable to complete the hike in the time alloted.
- Double check all hikers appear able to complete the hike and have sufficient gear, water, etc.
- Count off checking names against Signup Sheet.
- Make sure any Guest signs Waiver form and staple to Signup Form.
- Assign Sweep and pass along radio AND some to carry First Aid kit.
- Hand out driving directions to volunteer drivers.
9:00 - Leave for Trailhead
- Count off again to make sure everyone arrived.
- Review bathroom, snack and lunch distance and location(s).
- Start AllTrails recording or ask if any hikers can record for you.
- Review Guidelines for Hiking.
* Stop for water periodically. Hikers should consume a minimum of 8 ounces for each hour hiking and more during hot weather.
* Stop at all trail intersections to make sure everyone is aware of which trail is being taken.
* Stop for "bush" breaks if no restrooms are available.
End of Hike
- Remind hikers of driver reimbursement.
- Save AllTrails recording if available.
Back at Gateway
- Fill out Incident Report on back of SignUp Sheet if any injuries or issues arose during hike.
- Place completed Signup form and Incident Report, if any, in the wooden box.
- Return First Aid Kit and radio(s). Inform Hike Leader Training Coordinators if any materials need to be replaced.
- Send completed hike AllTrails recording to Quarterly Captain to load into Calendar for Hike Archive.