Month prior to hike
Select a date and location
- Resources: Hike Mentors, AllTrails, links to area park info, past hikes you’ve enjoyed
- Scout with a mentor or co-leader, record: duration, distance, elevation, trail conditions, driving directions, bathroom and cell service availability. Record on AllTrails if possible.
- Send description to the Quarterly Captain including AllTrails link if recorded
Week prior to hike
- Re-scout to double check trail and weather conditions and driving directions
- Arrange to pick up radio(s) from Harriet Schwartz (201-563-6019).
- Organizing cookies or treats for group is appreciated, but not mandatory
- Day prior to hike review Signup list on Club Calendar to check number of expected hikers and drivers
- Print out driving directions
Day of hike
- Arrive at Gateway
- Put out Sign Up Sheets and fill in Leader info and Hike location (Lock combo is #2232)
- Sign out First Aid Kit
Circle up hiking group. REMEMBER:
Leader has discretion to refuse any hiker or guest unprepared or appearing unable to complete the hike in the time alloted.
- Double check all hikers appear able to complete the hike and have sufficient gear, water, etc.
- Count off checking names against Signup Sheet
- Make sure any Guest signs Waiver form and staple to Signup Form
- Assign Sweep and pass along radio AND some to carry First Aid kit.
- Hand out driving directions to volunteer drivers
9:00 - Leave for Trailhead
- Count off again to make sure everyone arrived
- Review bathroom, snack and lunch distance and location(s)
- Start AllTrails recording or ask if any hikers can record for you
- Review Guidelines for Hiking
* Stop for water periodically. Hikers should consume 8 ounces for each hour hiking
* Stop at all trail intersections to make the Sweep is aware of which trail is being taken
* Stop for "bush" breaks if no restrooms are available
End of Hike
- Remind hikers of driver reimbursement
- Save AllTrails recording if available.
Back at Gateway
- Fill out Incident Report on back of SignUp Sheet if any injuries or issues arose during hike
- Place completed Signup form and Incident Report, if any, in the Green Box
- Return First Aid Kit and radio(s)
- Send completed hike AllTrails recording to Quarterly Captain to load into Calendar for Hike Archive.